Basefarm is a European Managed Service Provider who specializes in managing applications that run in a hybrid (on-premise and in the cloud) environment.
“Our customers are happy with the cost analysis done by AkasiaCloud. We find that their decisions to migrate on-premise applications to the cloud take place faster because of AkasiaCloud,” said Trond Bjerkvold, Konsultent at Basefarm Professional Services.
Basefarm performs application migrations to the cloud on a regular basis and frequently ran into delays and complexity around cost differentials between on-premise and cloud. While they answered the questions with spreadsheets they had these challenges with the spreadsheet method:
they were always out of date given cloud providers change costs frequently
spreadsheets did not factor in hidden costs such as network usage and I/O that are chargeable items in the cloud
“Our customers were dissatisfied with just estimates of cloud costs for their on-premise applications and demanded granular cost break downs before they migrated their on-premise applications to the cloud,” said Trond Bjerkvold, Konsultent at Basefarm Professional Services.
How AkasiaCloud solved the problem:
Basefarm used our SaaS solution to perform cost planning for a client. Our engagement with them followed the usual flow of
- downloading the Akasia Saas On-Prem Collector and generating on-prem VM data files in CSV format
- uploading the on-prem CSV data files to Akasia SaaS
- performing the cloud mapping for the on-prem VMs to calculate the costs of equivalent and right-sized cloud templates
- completing the cloud modeling by adding cloud advanced services such as load balancers, storage, IP addresses, network, support, etc.
- reviewing the side-by-side costs of the applications on-prem vs. in the cloud
The client ordered these items as part of their initial migration into AWS:
- equivalent VM templates – t2.medium (Windows) to t2.xlarge (Windows)
- right-sized VM templates – t2.nano (Windows) to t2.medium (Windows)
- data transfer out from EC2 to the internet (100GB)
- EBS (200GB)
- 8 Elastic IP addresses
- 4 Elastic load balancers
- Business Support